Which College Was The First To Host Classes In The Metaverse?

The metaverse concept continues to advance in recent years, providing a new way to experience the virtual world. Initially known as a platform for entertainment, the metaverse has been explored as a potential platform for education. Colleges and universities around the world are experimenting with hosting classes in the metaverse. In this article, we will discuss metaverse education and how it is developing.

Which College Was The First To Adopt Metaverse Education?

Morehouse College’s “Metaversity” has turned a commercial idea into reality by using the Metaverse, as an educational tool. As we know the metaverse is a digital environment where people from different locations can share experiences and activities. 

“What we do at the ‘Metaversity’ is teach our courses in these virtual worlds using immersive virtual reality. With the Meta Quest headsets, our students are immersed in a digitally simulated world like a digital replica of our campus,” Dr. Muhsinah Morris, Assistant Professor of Education and Morehouse’s “Metaversity” Director. 

In Spring 2021, Morehouse College launched its first virtual course using the metaverse to continue remote learning. They became the first institution in the US to establish a curriculum within the metaverse. The program was developed with the help of Victory XR, an educational technology company, and a grant from Southern Company. Professors can use the virtual environment to create non-traditional classrooms in places like Paris or Mars. Morehouse’s World History course has received high praise for simulating the tragic journey of African slaves. Morehouse showcased the course and others on social media to draw attention to the innovative technology. Morehouse’s President, Morris, said it was always her goal to showcase Morehouse as a leader in innovation.

The effectiveness of metaverse education in Morehouse College 

This new learning method has also impacted student performance and retention. Recent semester-ending surveys showed that 90 percent of students found the courses in the “Metaversity” were more effective. In addition, students achieved an increase of over 11.9 percent in their grades. And  10 percent increase in attendance rates compared to previous semesters that did remote learning.

The Metaverse as a new learning method has improved student performance and retention. In recent surveys, 90 percent of students found Metaversity courses more effective than other courses they have taken. Students also had an 11.9 percent increase in their grades and a 10 percent increase in attendance rates compared to previous semesters with remote learning.

The Metaversity program won the T-Mobile Unconventional Award for Innovation in Industry in September. Morris is also trying to make the metaverse accessible to other Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). She donated Meta Quest headsets to the Atlanta University Center’s Woodruff Library. So students at schools like Spelman or Morris Brown College can use them. Morris is also helping to develop additional programs at Prairie View A&M University and Tennessee State University.

Benefits and possibilities of metaverse education

Metaverse education is a new approach to learning that offers various benefits and possibilities. This innovative technology creates a virtual environment that simulates the physical world, allowing students to engage in interactive learning experiences that were previously unavailable in traditional classrooms. Here are some of the potential benefits and possibilities of metaverse education.

Participation 

One of the most significant advantages of metaverse education is its ability to enhance student engagement and participation. In traditional classrooms, students often need help to remain attentive, which can lead to boredom and disinterest. However, in the metaverse, students are actively involved in the learning process, which makes it easier to retain information and stay focused. The immersive environment of the metaverse also fosters collaboration and teamwork, allowing students to work together on projects and assignments.

Personalized education 

Another advantage of metaverse education is its ability to offer more personalized learning experiences. With the help of metaverse technology, teachers can create custom lesson plans. That caters to their student’s individual needs and interests. This personalized approach can help students to understand the material better and make learning more engaging and enjoyable.

Metaverse education also offers numerous possibilities for exploring new concepts and ideas. For example, students can use the metaverse to visit historical sites, and travel to different parts of the world. Besides, students can explore scientific concepts that are difficult to visualize in the physical world. These immersive experiences make learning more memorable and impactful.

The Metaverse also has the potential to bridge the gap between traditional classroom education and vocational training. Using the metaverse, students can explore different career paths and gain practical experience in various fields. This can help them to make more informed decisions about their future and prepare them for the workforce.

Accessibility 

Furthermore, metaverse education has the potential to make education more accessible and inclusive. With the rise of remote learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, metaverse education offers a unique opportunity to bring the classroom experience to students who are unable to attend physical classes. Metaverse technology can also help address the digital divide by providing students with access to advanced resources.

Final words

Metaverse education has the potential to revolutionize the way we learn and teach. By creating an immersive and interactive learning environment, metaverse education offers numerous benefits and possibilities for enhancing student engagement. Students and teachers are likely to use metaverse education more and more as technology evolves.

Source:

Morehouse becomes first college to host classes in the Metaverse. (2022, December 14). SaportaReport. https://saportareport.com/morehouse-becomes-first-college-to-host-classes-in-the-metaverse/sections/reports/allison/